CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 27, 2008

Sac of Potatoes



I finally made it to my home state. California!! I didn't grow up in Sacramento, but this is where my Dad lives now. It's a nice place.
I was watching the local news last night and I about fell over when the weather girl said "it feels like winter out there this week, make sure you grab an extra layer, the highs are only in the 80's". Usually the high in this part of the state in past 100.
About a week ago in the mountains ( yes they are mountains) there was a lighting storm that started 700 wildfires. It has been so smokey that the sun has turned red.It's kinda strange too see it like that.


So enough about the weather .
The main reason for my trip was because my step sister Kathy was going to get married on Saturday. On Wednesday she called me to let me know that the wedding had been canceled. ( her divorce from her first husband had not be finalized.. pretty good reason to cancel).
I still had the plane ticket and so I still headed down. My dad and step- mom live in a 2 bedroom apt, no bigger that the cultural hall at church. ( maybe even smaller.) Living in this tiny 2 bedroom apt is : my Dad, my Step- mom, my Step-mom's older sister, my step- sister and her 4 children, and coming up for the wedding, her fiance. So 5 adults and 4 children. What a Zoo! Luckily I had thought of getting a hotel room for the weekend. But silly me trying to save the day I invited my sister and her 4 kids to come stay with me at the hotel. ( and she invited her fiance).




So here I am in the hotel last night, nearing midnight when my sister shows up with what looks like her whole wardrobe, 4 children and all of their wardrobes.

Jet lag setting in all I want to do I sleep and the 10 year old wants to watch TV and show me all of her outfits for the next few day. My sister never being one for her soft and loving nature is trying to get the 2 year old to stop crying. And the 4 year woke up to tell us he wet himself ( and the bed).Meanwhile more and more clothing arrives in the form of laundry baskets by the fiance. I'm trying to get the 10 year old in her jammies and come lay down, the 2 year wants absolutely nothing to do with me... and I was not about to deal with the 4 year old.
At 12:30, the 10 year old informs me it is still way to early to be going to bed and that she is NOT sleepy.
Finally after all settles down. In one bed is: ( the previously wetted bed) the fiance and 2 of the children, and in my bed packed like sardines is me, the 10 year old the 2 year old and my sister. Every half an hour or so the 10 year old would wake up and sleepily look around, and if you where not careful her head would come crashing down on yours. Needless to say I got about 5 hours of good sleep. And I'm thankful for it! Today I'm planning on fishing with my Dad, and going to the distribution center. I promise to give more updates for Dis-function Junction later. Miss ya all.


Oh BTW I'm craving pancakes!


10 comments:

museumeg said...

Hooray for family! And I've thought being a little stiff from a pullout bed at my mom's was bad...
btw, we're both in California right now :)

Dani W said...

Wow... that is crazy. I dont know how you can deal with that many people is such a small space. When Ry and I were in cali last we stayed at the navy lodge with his sister, her husband and their two kids but we had a pretty nice little suit going... I was a little taken back at how spacious a navy lodge could be... but then again we were in san diego. Anyhow... take care... and good luck! Oh... dont forget to enjoy your self either.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! My mouth is wide open I have no other words then WOW.. I bet you can not wait until you can sleep in your own bed. Take a bath in your own tub and not have to worry about if your are going to feel a warm feeling while you are sleeping. Hope you can enjoy a little of your trip. Was your husband able to come with you?

April

Anonymous said...

P.S. If I could I would take you out to IHOP for a pancake feast. My favorite are the banana walnut pancakes.

April

Anonymous said...

Hi
It is me Rebecca your sister. I wanted to remain anonymous so there was no awkwardness but I messed that up. Sorry. I will not publish anymore comments. Sorry for inconvenience.

Rebecca

Natalie said...

WOW... You are nice to let them all stay with you in the hotel with you! I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip... lots of people are out of town this weekend ~ ENJOY IT!

zeeny said...

What a crazy night! Hope you get more rest the remainder of the trip!!

Christine said...

Wow - busy night!! I'm guessing this is one of those things you will look back and laugh at (later) and will make a great story for social gatherings. But it can be, um, tricky when you're in the middle of things! I hope you can relax a bit. Oh, and when you have a moment could you give me a holler for when you'd like to get together (I'm looking forward to it). Love ya!

Sunni said...

you're a saint...I am about to go crazy at my sister's wedding and I at least get a bed with just my husband and a two year old in it. Enjoy CA it is such a beautiful state!

Meri said...

That is why we keep journals!!! [so one day we can look back and laugh] I think you deserve some pancakes or at least a tiny bite... love ya.