CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 13, 2009

Under my Skin



A Realtor came to my home this morning, He walked around.. took in the size of the rooms, the colors, took in what ever it is that relator's take in. He walked upstairs and in each room. When he had finished, we meet back in our living room sat on the couch. He told me a few things that I should do, nothing that was too major.

And then he said something that I have been pondering for the past 4 hours ( you have a ton of time to ponder when you paint trim) He looked up at my picture of the beloved prophets on my wall and asked me who they where, (ding*) a missionary experience! I explained that they where the prophets of the church I belonged to. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. His smile faded and the he responded: "I would suggest taking down all of your religious pictures, and would not leave those bibles out where they can be seen by perceptive owners, In fact your book self upstairs( its all church books) should not have anything with that name on it." I had no idea what to say... I just kinda nodded and then saw him out...


I thought I would blog about it.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Our realtor in Maine told us the same thing... only a bit more tactful. Taking down all the pictures from the walls and removing all storage things (including bookshelves) will help prospective buyers imagine their belongings in the home.

So is the house finally on the market?

JeMM said...

I so sorry he was so rude. I hate it when stuff that bugs or hurts sticks to ya. I understand the "saleability" issue and the house should be inpersonal. If you don't use that realator I have a great friend Kathy Sullivan who is much more tactful and she even knows who those men are! She sold homes to the Peterson's and the Dawson's and she knows her stuff!
Love you!

museumeg said...

Wow! Did he want you take down all your pictures and personal belongings or just the religious ones? That's just crummy! And I can second what Jenny said about Kathy Sullivan. She is awesome!

Unknown said...

perhaps you need a differance realtor.

Tweedlemuffin said...

That's not uncommon. Everyone i know who is religious and tried to sell their house were told the same. It's just a general rule for selling houses: Don't have any thing personal or religious. It supposedly distracts the clients. And if they have ANY prejudice against a religion or RACE of family, they may not buy the house because of that.